February 2012 Mix - "Just Let It Happen"
(to listen to the mix, just press the play icon above)
I was in relatively good shape going into February, mix wise. I had a few tracks set and loaded early on, but then I hit a wall and sure enough, the short month of February put the pressure on. Luckily, the end of the month proved to be productive in terms of discovering new music as well as seeing what music was exciting me this month. That's what the mixes are meant to be for me, a collection of new songs I'm digging, songs of bands I've seen recently or ones that I'm going to see soon. The closest I'll come to documenting my life is by documenting these 13 songs that I listen to each month. That said, let's dive in...
1. "Songs About Your Girlfriend" - Los Campesinos - I saw Los Campesinos live in early February and they solidified themselves as one of my guaranteed good time bands. I danced my ass off and loved every moment of the show.
2. "Comeback Kid" - Sleigh Bells - You always worry about that second album from a band you really liked with their debut. Luckily Sleigh Bells have delivered another great set of songs complete with shredding guitars. Love it.
3. "Traveling" - Tennis - One of my new music finds this month, I love the airy, retro pop sound of this band.
4. "New Map" - M83 - I'm as mystified as you are as to how much I like M83. This album has firmly been in rotation since I got it. It's really close to perfect.
5. "Helpless" - Sugar - you may have saw my post earlier this week of video of the Bob Mould show where he preformed the entire Copper Blue album. Yeah, so that's why this song is here. I'm obsessed
6. "The Right Profession" - Hospitality - Another new music find, with female vocals and yet it's slightly different than Tennis above. Unique and memorable.
7. "The Unsinkable Fats Domino" - Guided By Voices - I don't think the new GBV record is better than the older ones, but it's damn good and tons of fun to listen to
8. "We Are Young" - fun. (featuring Janelle Monae) - I'll admit, I first heard this song on Glee. Had no idea it was fun. The new fun. album has it's issues, but this is a fantastic song.
9. "Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)" - The Wedding Present - I get to see The Wedding Present live again in March! I can't wait! I love their covers and this cover is on the full Sea Monsters album, which is what I'll be seeing them perform. I wonder if they'll do this cover
10. "Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie" - Black Flag - The majority of my hardcore has been east coast based, I've listened to Black Flag here and there, but this month I really dove in and I can finally see why this band was so important, emotionally not academically. I mean, I get it, but after listening to them alot this month, I really get it
11. "Envy" - Youth of Today - And here's the east coast hardcore. Further, I got tickets to see a bunch of old east coast hardcore bands later this year. I cannot wait. June can't come fast enough.
12. "Paperwork" - Hot Snakes - Another band that I'm going to be seeing live soon, and it's a band that I never thought I'd see again. Luckily I'm able to navigate scheduling conflicts to see them...in Seattle.
13. "Who Loves The Sun" - The Velvet Underground - I want to go back in time and make 15 year old me listen to The Velvet Undergound. He'd be much better off.